RALLY / TOURING
LSR periodically conducts Rallies, Fun Runs, and Tours (or joins with other local clubs) for those wishing to take a break (and give their brakes and tires a break) from those high testosterone / estrogen Drivers' Ed, Club Race, and Autocross events.
LSR events are meant to be more social than competitive and are activities that can involve the whole family (well, those with Cayennes or small children that can fit into the back of a 911) or older children who can navigate for their mom or dad driver.
In all types of events - Rally, Fun Run, or Tour - the objective is to get Porsche people together for a fun day with their cars and maybe learn something about the wonderful country that surrounds Houston at the same time. Click this link for information on rallies and tours on the PCA website.
The Rally Committee looks forward to seeing you at the next event.
If you would like to organize a tour or have a suggested destination, please contact Ron Baklarz.
Rallies involve covering a measured course in a certain amount of time. Several intermediate checkpoints are established on the route, and all teams must check in at given intervals at the checkpoints. This form generally requires higher speed driving and more precise navigation involving keeping track of both elapsed time, average speed, and distance. A conforming rally requires a large amount of planning, organization, coordination, and volunteer staffing.
Click this link for the PCA events calendar.
Fun Runs involve covering a course that has been laid out and measured before hand. Directions (sometimes containing cryptic clues) are provided to each driver / navigator team, and the objective is to cover the same distance as has been measured on the course. At the same time, the teams will be asked to make certain stops or observe and record landmarks or points of interest along the way. The run will end with a lunch or dinner at a scenic spot, where some nominal prizes are awarded to the team that most closely matches their mileage to the measured course, to the team with the most correct answers to the "landmark" questions, and to the team that (inadvertently) covers the most distance trying to get from start to finish.
Touring involves all cars assembling at a start point and then driving in convoy along a scenic route (for example, a Spring wildflower tour). The trip usually ends at a restaurant or other point of interest. Many of our tours are being structured as charity events with a nominal voluntary contribution solicited from participants. Check the News page for details.
PCA has several documents that pertain to planning, conducting, and post event reporting for touring activities. This same level of documentation is generally available for all PCA events that LSR conducts; however, tours are more likely to be organized and conducted on an informal basis. Persons leading tours need to be aware of this information.
Except for the PCA Insurance Item, the following are links to the applicable documents on the PCA website. Member log-in is required to access the forms.
- PCA Insurance, Risk Management and Waiver of Liability (including forms)
- PCA Tour Guidelines
- PCA Incident Reporting
- Post Event Report
- Guidelines for Incident and Event Observer Reports
- Event Observer Reports
- PCA Event Insurance (prepared and submitted by the LSR Secretary)
NOTE - these documents and forms change from time to time. Current copies of the document and forms should be downloaded from the PCA website (member log-in required) for use at events that require them. All forms must be printed IN COLOR.
For information on prior tours, check out the following links:
- April 4th Sixth Annual Wildflower Tour details. Timeline of events has been etched in stone. Here are the detail for April 4, 2015 Wildflower Tour.
- 2012 Brunch Tour to Karls on the Riverbend
- 2011 August Tour to Hyatt Lost Pines Resort
- 2011 Drive to Round Top
- 2011 Annual Migration Drive to Stingaree's on the Bolivar Pennisula
- 2011 Weekend in Rockport
- 2011 Tour of the Bush Intercontinental Air Traffic Control Center
- 2010 Cajun Weekend in New Iberia and Avery Island
- 2010 Westside Tennis Club Charity Concours
- 2010 March Tour to TWS for the LSR PCA Club Races (web gallery)
- 2009 November Running of the Bulls (web gallery)
- 2009 November Wings and Wheels (web gallery)
- 2009 Family Picnic at the Historic George Ranch (web gallery)
- 2009 Spring Tour to the Other Hill Country (web gallery)
- 2008 Boxstoberfest
- 2008 Spring Tour - The "Other" Hill Country
- 2007 Boxstoberfest
- 2007 Industrial Tour of Houston - Meet-Drive-Eat at Clifton's by the Sea
- 2007 Meet-Drive-Eat to the PCA Races and Ernies in Brenham
- 2006 Boo BQ Fun Run
- 2006 Meet-Drive-Eat to Karls on the Riverbend
- 2006 Spring Tour - Marble Falls
Ron Baklarz is the Rally / Touring Chairman. He is always looking for volunteers.